Thursday, May 19, 2011

York

Hello! Today Lauren and I made the journey to York.  We took a train this morning to Edinburgh and then we got another train down to York.  The train ride was pretty good.  We saw things on fire and lots of black smoke in Newcastle.  Evidently it was major news.  It looked pretty bad. But anyways, we ended up in York around 1:30 and set off to see the city.

It was an adorable town.  Luckily, it didn't rain today and it wasn't as windy, so we had good weather to go and explore the city.  When we arrived, we immediately started for the Cathedral. It's called York Minster and is the largest cathedral North of the Alps.

Here's the cathedral.  It was really pretty.  It reminded me of Notre Dame.

After looking around the cathedral and going as far in as we could, we wandered around the streets in the center of town.  York had really quaint streets.

Like this.

I really enjoyed wandering along them and going into some of the little stores.  After a while, we decided to go the the National Railway Museum, so we headed back towards the train station.

We crossed a bridge that had really pretty views.

The NRM was really cool.  It was free to get into (which I enjoyed) and had some fun stuff.

Here's the museum.

It had a weird segway park thing.  I really just enjoy that it was called exhilaration station (I mean, it's a segway).

They also had some of the royal trains.  They were really cool.  I think that ScotRail should take a few notes.  I'd love to travel like Queen Victoria personally.

This really puts ScotRail to shame.

While at the museum, we found a "street train" that we could ride back into town.  Of course we took this opportunity.  I really don't care how stupid we looked (we were the only ones on it older than 5 and younger than 80...I don't know why more people didn't ride it.)

It was a lot of fun.

After our train ride, we wandered around some more of the streets by the cathedral.  

We found a market.

Then, we headed for dinner.  I was really excited because we found a Pizza Hut! (This may not sound like a great find, but I haven't seen a Pizza Hut in the UK that's a sit down restaurant.  Everything that I've seen has been take-away.)

After dinner, we walked back towards the train station and walked up along the city wall.

It had great views of the city.

Then, we got our train back to Edinburgh.

Before we left York, we found a pastry shop and got dessert for the train.  I got a pecan (pronounced pee-can (like can of soup) in case you were wondering.  The lady at the pastry shop corrected me).

It was a really nice train ride back.  It was the perfect sky for a sunset.



Then, we got back into Stirling.  Tomorrow we're going to go into Stirling in the morning before coming back to campus because I have my second final (wish me luck).  

No comments:

Post a Comment