Sunday, May 29, 2011

Cafe Style Church

Hello everyone! Today Grace, Katelin and I went to church.  A lady from the church picked us up again (which was nice since we were actually on time this Sunday.  No standing outside the church at 10:45 contemplating how awkward it would be to go inside).  They did something really cool in church today.  As was explained to us, every time there is a 5th Sunday in the month (like there was this May) they do something called a cafe style service.  (She told us "You never really know what's going to happen on 5th Sunday.  It's always something different".)

So, the main part of the church was set up with chairs around tables.  The tables had paper, pencils and pens and bubbles set up on them (I was personally really excited about this). We had the same pastor as the first time we went to church and the service was really cool.  We did all kinds of things.  The overall theme was the idea of rivers and then the pastor used different topics to branch off from there. He showed us a slideshow and then asked us to discuss what water and rivers meant to us, then he went around to each table and said a prayer about what everyone discussed (and we blew bubbles at this point.  I believe the concept was something like our prayers being like bubbles.  It made sense at the time.  Plus, I got to blow bubbles in church).  We also discussed different passages about the River Jordan in our separate groups and then all talked about.  In between each activity someone in the congregation would get up and say a passage or tell a story and we would sing a song.  (Like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpkQ-Bb78sU.  I hadn't heard this one before, but maybe I just missed something back home.  It was one of those that had the hand motions where you took words out and replaced them with gestures.  It was really fun because everybody in the church got really into it. Also, the kids stayed through the service, so they really enjoyed it.)  It was a lot of fun.

After church, we went to Filling Station for lunch (well, I should say breakfast because we all ended up getting breakfast food.  It's just really good at Filling Station).  Then, we came back and I relaxed the rest of the day and just worked on some graphic stuff.  It was a really nice day.

So, continuing on with my Top 5 things, (I would have done one last night, but I was really tired) tonight I'm going to tackle my Top 5 Scottish Cities (overall cities will come at a later point. I just felt like Scotland is so epic it needed it's own category).

5.)  Linlithgow
Yes, the snow was kind of annoying, but it was really cool to see the snow covered city.  

4.)  Inverness
This town is just adorable and it's close to Loch Ness.

3.) Oban
What can I say, I love me a sea town.  I wish that I would have had more time here.  

2.) Edinburgh

I have to say this is a close second.  It's my most visited city.


1.) Stirling
Yep, this is biased.  (But, I promise this is the last category where Stirling is in the running.)

This is completely random, but I just saw the news that Dan Wheldon won the Indy 500 (for anyone who may have been watching this).  I'm just saying, that it came down to a battle between the Scottish and English and well...
Dario Franchitti should have won. 

No comments:

Post a Comment