Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lauren Comes to Scotland

Hello everyone! Today Lauren finally arrived in Scotland.  I got up this morning and took a train to Edinburgh and then an AirLink bus to the airport (have I mentioned how incredibly awesome the AirLink bus is?  I love it.  It's so comfy and nice.  Best buses in Scotland).  Then, I just waited for her to arrive.  I wandered around the airport for while.  It was a good time. They have a prayer and quiet room.  I was sitting and contemplating whether or not it would be awkward to go inside and just take a look around when I saw a very familiar, very short kilt walk by...it was Andi from the Isle of Skye trip. This was really shocking to me, because I thought that she just always frolicked through the hills and never left the Highlands.  Then, it just got awkward because I didn't know if I should say anything to her or not.  I kept making awkward eye contact with her, but I didn't know if she remembered me (since you know the only time I really talked to her was during the belting of Savage Garden ballads).  Well, it was just really awkward, but luckily Lauren arrived right around then so I high-tailed it out of there.

Once Lauren got here, we spent the day in Edinburgh.  We got the AirLink bus into the center of town and stored her luggage at Waverley Station (I thought that this place sounded kind of sketchy because it was called Left Luggage, but it actually worked out pretty well).  Then, it started to rain, so we stayed in the train station so that I could eat lunch, and Lauren could get her rail pass.  In true Scottish fashion, once we were done with that the rain had stopped.  The wind stayed, but it was dry the rest of the day.  We walked up the Royal Mile to the Castle and back down to the Elephant House and went to the Nation Museum of Scotland (Lauren is part biology major, so seeing Dolly the sheep was really cool...it was also nice to escape the wind for a while).  Then, we walked to Parliament and Hollyrood House.  After that, we got a train back to Stirling, got some dinner and settled in for the night.  It was a good day.  Tomorrow we are headed to York (in England in case you were wondering).  We're really excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment