Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Things that Boggle my Mind

Hello! Today was an interesting, but good day for me. I discovered many things that boggle my mind (hints the title of this post).  So, let's just start at the beginning of my day.  I got up this morning and Grace, Katelin and I did our laundry.

Mind Boggle Experience (known as MBE from here on out) Number 1:  First, let me explain the laundry situation at Stirling.  So, you go into this little house that is attached to one of the dorms (there are more than just this one, but this is the one that my friends and I always go to).  There are really nice ladies that help/supervise the laundry situation.  Well, we went to do our laundry today at 10:00 and it was full.  There were no washers.  One of the ladies made the statement "you have to get here early to do laundry on a Tuesday morning".  Just so everybody knows, nobody does laundry on Wednesdays (our usual day).  So, I have no idea what is so special about Tuesday mornings, but that place was hopping.

We finally got our laundry going, and then we discovered something else.

MBE Number 2: You can pay to have your laundry done for you by one of the ladies (this is why it was so full, because the ladies were using half of the washers for "service washers").  I mean how lazy do you have to be to pay someone to do it for you.  I mean come on.  Laundry isn't my favorite activity, but it's pretty easy. And then you just sit there and wait for it to be done.  I personally think this is pretty ridiculous.

After laundry, I went back to my room and had yet another discovery...

MBE Number 3:  First, let me explain that my lecture and seminar were cancelled on Thursday.  So, my professor rescheduled the lecture and seminar.  I now have a class from 2-4 on Monday.  This is slightly irritating because this man couldn't get himself together to just do the other one, but whatever.  Also, I now have a seminar that I have to go to on Thursday night.  I don't have a seminar at the regular time on Thursday, but oh no, he couldn't use that time.  Dr. Jekyll is honestly one crazy man.  Common sense he has not.

Then, I went to class.  I was among 5 people who showed up for lecture today.  We sat in the room for 20 minutes when we finally figured out that Dr. Jekyll wasn't coming.

MBE Number 4: My professor never showed for class.  This especially boggles my mind considering he rescheduled a lecture...why couldn't he reschedule it for today if there wasn't one scheduled?  I'm still pretty irritated that I showed up for this class only to be stood up by Dr. Jekyll.  This man needs to learn organization and communication skills.

Later on today, my friends and I met to go into town.  We went to Boots (a drug store type place.  It's similar to a CVS, except a little bit classier).  This is where I found some very interesting things.  This next part is a shout out to my Dad, Aunt and cousin, the pharmacists of thy family, because 1) I want to know why this is 2) do we have this in the US and 3) because this thing is awesome.  So, let's begin with number 1.

MBE Number 5:  When we were looking in the cold/flu section today we made an interesting discovery.  Sudafed is sold over-the-counter here.  I can't remember if in the US it's still over-the-counter, but just not put on the shelves (what I mean by that is that someone doesn't need to have a prescription to get it, but they have to talk to a pharmacist to buy it) or if they do need a prescription.  Because at good old Boots, anyone can just wander down the cold/flu aisle and pick up Sudafed.  This seriously concerned me.  Because I know in the US it definitely isn't just chilling in the middle of Walmart.

This brings me to question number 2.

MBE Number 6:  My friend Katelin discovered that in addition to eye drops, they also have eye ointment.  This sounds terrifying to me.  How do you rub cream onto your eye?  (Here's the website if you don't believe me http://www.boots.com/en/LACRI-LUBE-Eye-Ointment-5g_48893/).  Please tell me that they don't sell such horrifying things in the US.

Now, here is the cool discovery of the day.  I don't know if these exist in the US, but it fascinated me. On to question number 3.

MBE Number 7:  At the pharmacy here, they have spin-y things with all of the medicine on them.  I really don't have a great description of this, but I do have a picture and a video that I found.  This video shows it really well.  Just watch behind the girl that's talking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzxQB-kyvQQ).  (As a side note to the video, please tell me that you would never refer your customers to WebMD.)  I personally think this thing would make your life at the pharmacy A) a lot easier and B) more fun.

It sits in the middle of the pharmacy and it spins (the entire thing and each shelf).  I could have watched this all day.

After our Boots experience, we headed to dinner.  There is a new pizza place that just opened in town called NY Slice (like New York).  It was really good and really cheap.  They also sell cupcakes. This made us very happy as well.  I'm sure we'll be back there soon. Then, we headed to Iceland and Tesco to buy food before coming back to campus.

Tomorrow I don't have any classes, but I do have a farewell lunch bought by IFSA-Butler.  (It's amazing to think that it's already the farewell lunch. My time here has just flown by!) Then, it'll off to studying for my final on Friday for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment