Sunday, May 1, 2011

Blistered, Burned, and on National TV

Hello! On to my Saturday in London we go! We got up the next morning and Izzy showed us around her neighborhood for a while before we headed into town.  She showed us her school, which was on Oxford Street (the major shopping area of London) before we went to lunch.  I knew this was going to be a great day from the get-go because Izzy knew a Mexican restaurant that was similar to Qdoba! (There is no Mexican food in Scotland, so I have been going through serious withdrawal.) The Pseudo-ba was great.  It was exactly what I needed.

Here is Oxford Street.  I liked all of the flags along it.

We made our way down Oxford Street toward Piccadilly Circus.  It's kind of like the Times Square of London. 

Here is Piccadilly Circus.

From Piccadilly Circus, we made our way towards Trafalgar Square.  This is where some of the museums are in London.  I was really excited when we got here, because they had a count-down to the 2012 Olympics clock.

Here's Trafalgar Square.

Here's the clock I was so pumped for.

Then, we realized that the Today show was filming in the middle of the square.  We were extremely excited! We saw Al Roker and Natalie Morales.  I'll be honest, I'm not a big Natalie fan, but Al is awesome! I was really excited. 

You can see Natalie through the center and Al off to the left.

Then, we figured out that we were going to be on TV.  And we were! My parents saw us a couple of times.  We were on for quit a while.  It was the coolest thing.  This was one of the highlights of my entire trip.

Here's another picture of them filming. Evidently they were talking about what the guests were wearing at the Royal Wedding.  They were interviewing Giuliana Rancic about it.  She's the really skinny one in the middle.

The best part was that I got to meet Al Roker! I was so excited.  I got the shake his hand too!

After the Today Show was done filming, Katelin and I headed back to Oxford Street to do some souvenir shopping.  We decided to take a bus.  We kind of just rode the bus for a while.  After all of the walking we did yesterday, it was nice just to relax and let a bus take us around London for a while.  We enjoyed our ride.  We did finally make it back to Oxford Street.  We had a true "Katelin and Jennifer" moment along the way.  We were in kind of a rush to meet back up with Grace and Izzy when we see this guy come around the corner with a waffle covered in chocolate.  Needless to say, we decided we could make time for a Nutella covered waffle.  

Believe me when I say this was delicious.  

We ended up eating through our meeting time, but it all worked out.  We just met up with them later after we hit every souvenir shop we could find.  I now have a ton of Royal Wedding souvenirs for everyone back home.  I got such tacky classics as magnets, flags, and some recyclable bags with the Royal Couple on them. I also bought some cheap Union Jack sunglasses.  It was a great time.

After we met fulfilled our need to buy tacky gifts, we met back up with Grace and Izzy and met up with Katelin's friend from Butler, Lauren, who is also studying abroad at the University of Westminster.  Even though I had never met her, it was nice to see another Butler person.  Then, we all went to St. Paul's Cathedral.

Here's St. Paul's.  In case you were wondering, it's one of the largest and most beautiful cathedrals in the world. 

From St. Paul's, we headed to the Millennium Bridge (it was in Harry Potter.  Don't worry, I included a video later on).  

It was cool, because you could see the Tower Bridge.


Here is the Millennium Bridge with St. Paul's at the end of it.  And as promised, here is the Harry Potter scene  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-U5iOinM8).  

We also saw the Globe Theater (the recreation of the one that burned down) at the end of the bridge.

We also decided that we needed to recreate the harry Potter bridge scene.

Then, Katelin, Lauren and I went to dinner and saw her flat before meeting back up with Izzy and Grace later on.  After that, we headed to bed.  What can I say, we had a very productive weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment