Saturday, May 7, 2011

Scotland's National Aquarium

Hello! Today my friends and I made the journey to North Queensferry (which sits on the Firth of Forth incase you're interested).  Our main goal for making the trip to North Queensferry was to go to Deep Sea World; Scotland's National Aquarium.  So, once we arrived at the train station, we promptly found a sign for Deep Sea World and trekked down a hill to get there.  On the way, we took a second to admire North Queensferry.  It wasn't a very big town.

Here's North Queensferry...it was more like a village.

Then, we continued on our way to Deep Sea World.

Here it is! It was right by this big rock by this huge bridge that the trains cross (which I'll talk about later).

I just need to express how awesome Deep Sea World was.  It for some reason had a pirate theme going on (and when I say pirate theme, I mean that it looked like they went to a party store outlet and bought their entire supply of pirate themed Birthday decor).  I, of course, thoroughly enjoyed this.  I also got to touch a sea urchin and hold a star fish.  This was also really exciting.  In addition to their exhibits, they have the longest underwater tunnel in the UK (and one of the longest in world...in case you were dying to know, it's 112 meters long). It had a fun moving sidewalk thing (honestly time, we rode this thing at least 4 times).

Here's the tunnel.

During one of our trips around the tunnel, we got to watch the shark feeding.  I took a video of it of course!


Then, we had lunch in the aquarium cafeteria thing.  I had fish and chips.  I really enjoy the thought of eating fish in an aquarium (and it was actually really good).  Then, we went to watch the seals being fed.  It was really fun, because they did tricks and stuff too. 

As you can see by the girl in the background, the pirate theme continued for the staff.


I enjoy stereotypical seal tricks. 

Again, stereotypical seal tricks. (It also reminded me of the movie Andre from back in the day...the one with the little girl and the seal...)

After having our fill of the aquarium, we wandered around North Queensferry.  There wasn't too much to see, but we found a walkway that was really pretty.

Here is that bridge I talked about earlier.  It was actually really cool.


We also found a beach with some very large (by Scottish standards) houses.

We also scoped our this town that looks like a good place to visit sometime.

Then, as weather.com predicted, it began to rain.  So, we made our way back to the train station and back to Stirling.  

Tomorrow, my friends and I are planning on going to church, and then I'm going to study for my exams.  Not as fun filled as today, but productive none-the-less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment