Sunday, April 10, 2011

More Scottish Sun and Gaelic

Hello! Today was another beautiful day.  No rain, all sun.  And it was warm! It was in the mid-60s today.  So, it was that nice kind of warm where it isn't humid and sticky.  It was really nice.  The plan for today was to go to Alloa (a town close to Stirling) and go to Asda (which is a store like Walmart).  Well this morning, we were all ready to hop on a bus to Alloa, when we discovered that we couldn't use our bus pass to get there.  The stupid thing, is that we can get a bus from central Stirling to Alloa using our bus pass (we know, because we've taken this bus back to campus before), just not the other way around.  This completely perplexes me.  So, instead we had a nice day shopping in Stirling.  I didn't make any great purchases, just groceries and McDonald's (we discovered today that they have the monopoly thing going on right now.  So, we need to go there a lot now to collect our pieces).

After shopping, we went back to campus.  We sat outside and enjoyed the beautiful weather and I studied for my quiz tomorrow (which will hopefully go really well).  It was a nice relaxing day and I think I might have actually gotten a little bit of sun.  See, you thought I would go to Scotland and not see the sun for 4 months.  Well, that's not true.  The weather can actually be very nice here.

I also got awesome news today...my friend/roommate Lauren is coming to visit in May! I'm so excited.  I'm already thinking of what we should/could do! It's going to be great! Tomorrow I have 2 classes, plus a quiz.  My quiz is actually not held during class time.  No, that would be way too simple.  Instead it's being held right before class.  This kind of irritates me.

I know that I've talked a little bit about Gaelic before, but I'm going to tell it to you again.  Gaelic is a Scottish native-like language.  It is still spoken in parts of Scotland and is the national language along with English.  As you go up into the Highlands, all of the signs that you see are first in Gaelic and then in English.  It also sounds really cool.  There are schools here that only teach/speak Gaelic.

So, my friends and I have decided to try to learn Gaelic phrases  before we leave.  We found these videos on YouTube that are from the 70s that teach you how to speak Gaelic. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3lIWJl5I4c)    All I can say so far is "Ciamar a tha thu?" (pronounced "Kimmer uh ha oo") which means how are you doing (don't ask me how to respond to it, because I don't know how).  Granted, this isn't going to get me very far in a conversation, but I still feel cool for knowing a phrase in Gaelic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment