Monday, April 18, 2011

Back to the Usual in Stirling

Hello everyone! It was really nice to be back in Stirling and to be back to normal. I had a relatively calm day, which was nice.  It felt really weird to go a whole day without being traumatized by the EKs.  It was lovely.  I had my last EUC seminar this morning.  It was slightly painful to attend.  Here's why.  Reason number 1, remember how last weeks seminar pretty much consisted of a dialogue between me and the Phd student?  Well, this week she decided she would learn names and actually call on people.  Guess who's name was the only one she knew?  That's right, me. (I find this somewhat of an accomplishment.  She just needs to remember that whenever she's handing out grades.) I felt kind of sorry for her.

Also, we had to have 5 presentations today because all of the slackers that realized the presentation was not skip-able because it's 30% of our grade.  So, the people who were supposed to do them last week showed up this week like this was no big deal to do a presentation a week late. And all them were pretty terrible.  One girl opened her presentation with this "This question makes no sense at all. I made up everything because it makes no sense.  I love French film and this one just doesn't capture Paris for me...and Paris is a very personal thing for me.  I don't know who came up with this question (Jennifer's commentary: That would be the lady who you're sassing off to right now.  Not smart.  Not smart at all) but there is literally no significance at all."  Let me just say, that my presentation asked me to find the significance in a soundtrack that consisted of hammering and a chirping bird.  And lone and behold I managed to do it.  She needed to grow up.  My favorite presentation of the day was by Piercings Girl.  Not because it was good, (Disclaimer: Yes I realize how creepy this next statement sounds.) but because I've really wanted to stare at her all semester (for the seminars she's actually shown up to anyway) and count her piercings and I finally got the opportunity (she had 11!). This girl has piercings on her face in places I have never seen before (Like the piece of skin between her 2 front teeth).  All I could think about was how big of a pain it would be to go through security at the airport.  It was a great time.

Then, I had my LEI lecture.  We talked about sports tourism.  I didn't really learn anything exciting.  Except I did learn that Scotland claims to be the adventure sport capital of Europe, which actually explains a lot.  Like why IFSA thought that Camp Hellhole was a good idea.  I like to look at nature.  Not interact with it.

After class, I came back and planned out my Easter weekend (we have Good Friday through Easter Monday off) with my roommate, Grace.  Katelin, Grace and I are going to go down to England and Wales and tour around some of the smaller towns. We're planning on going to Canterbury, Brighton, Bath, Cardiff (in Wales), Chester, and Stratford Upon Avon before heading up to Manchester in order to get back to Stirling. (We're going to those places in that order too.)  I'm really excited.  I've been wanting to get down in that area to see those stereotypical (as in cute and historic) English towns.  And I've never been to Wales before, so this should be a lot of fun.

Tomorrow I have 2 classes.  It's my last LEI seminar of the semester.  I guarantee that I'll be one of the only people there.  I predict a grand total of 4 people at the max.

I also have a funny story to leave you with tonight (or today as it may be for you).  This happened yesterday, but I got so caught up in blogging about Skye that I forgot, so I'll just tell it you now.  So, yesterday I found out that my grade for the LEI hell quiz I took last week was up online.  I remembered this as I was cooking dinner, so I rushed into my room to look up my grade.  I got a 2F.  I was almost hysterical.  Here is what I was thinking "if it isn't bad to fail once, I got a 2F! That's twice as bad.  That's double failure! 15% of my grade is now gone in double failure".  I was in full on panic mode.  I was calculating my grade and how to fix it, when I heard the microwave go off.  I went back into the kitchen  and was starting to discuss this disaster with Grace, when I realized...stupid me a 2F is actually a pretty good grade.  It's actually a B-.  Which considering my lackluster performance on that quiz, I am pretty darn happy with.  I felt really stupid though.  Why can't we just all use the same grading system?

No comments:

Post a Comment