Saturday, April 2, 2011

Back in Stirling and Famous Scots

Hello everyone! Today I dropped my parents off at the airport and headed back to Stirling.  It was a good trip.  The trains come more often out of a big city, so I was back in Stirling by 9:00 this morning.  This was good because I had lots of time to work on essays, which is what I spent the majority of my time doing today.  Luckily, my essays are due on Tuesday and then I won't have to worry about those anymore. That was pretty much my day.  After having a very eventful and fun week, it was nice to have kind of a mellow day.  Tomorrow I'm planning on working on my essays and meeting up with my friends for a Tesco run.  It should be a pretty standard week for me!

During my time in Scotland, I have discovered that there are a lot of famous people (historical and more recent) that are Scottish.  So, I have decided that once a week I'll try to blog about someone who is famous and Scottish.  (I'll leave out those people who I've already talked about, like William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, and Sir Walter Scott.)  To start things off, I have chosen somebody recent who is famous and Scottish; Susan Boyle.


Here she is.  (I chose the "after" makeover picture because I think this is what she actually looks like now.)

Before I go into anything about dear old Sue, first watch this YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk

As you probably guessed from the video, Susan Boyle is a Scottish singer.  She got her start on Britain's Got Talent back in 2009.  (The video that you just watched was her audition to get on the show.)  She didn't win unfortunately, but she has gone on to become quit famous.  She's been on the Today show, had various interviews, has out 2 albums (a regular one and a Christmas album), she was also officially recognized in the Guinness Book of World Records as having the fastest selling debut album that any UK woman has ever produced, and she's Scottish.  She was born in, and still lives in, Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland.  This is a small town about halfway between Edinburgh and Glasgow (I plan to go and try to find her house at some point in time just to say that I've seen it...reading back over this I now realize how creepy this sounds.  But I'm sure that people do it all the time.)  Why did I pick her to be the first famous Scot that I wrote about?  Well, she was the first one I thought of.  Plus, she's a really cool person and I could find a  fun video to accompany this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment