Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Isle of Skye

Hello! Today I had 2 classes.  They were ok.  My seminar was pretty fun today.  The Sassy Kid wasn't there, so I really enjoyed my seminar.  We did a mock Council (local government) financial meeting where different departments had to argue for their departments to get money.  It was really fun.  I got to be the Chief Executive (which means that I got to run the "meeting" and decide who got what amount of money).  I tell you, I have found myself a new career.  It is really a great time telling people what they can and can't do. It was actually really tame though.  We did the activity and came in under budget. Frazzled didn't know what to do.  She said she has never had a class come in under budget before.  I personally think it was due to the absence of Sassy Kid and because I am a great Chief Executive. But the activity was kind of pointless because it was supposed to show how budget cuts are made and we really didn't do any of that. I forgot how great this seminar is whenever Sassy Kid isn't there.  It renewed my zest for UK government after Sassy Kid pretty much sucked my soul right out of me (maybe a more appropriate name for him would be dementor (a creature the sucks the souls out of people)...sorry for all the Harry Potter references). Maybe he won't ever come back. He only causes problems.

Then, I had my PMA lecture.  It was pretty boring.  All we talked about were amendments that have been made to local government.  This wouldn't have been so boring, except they all did the same thing; unify local and central government.  We could have finished the lecture in 5 minutes.  After classes, I went into town with my friends and we got fried pizza for dinner and then went to Shake Bar.  I got a Cadbury Caramel shake and got a free upgrade to a large for no apparent reason.  But hey, I'm not going to argue with getting a free upgrade.  Then, I came back to campus and went for a walk around the loch with Grace.  It turned out to be another really nice day today.  Tomorrow I leave for the Isle of Skye.  Unfortunately, I will not be taking my computer with me, so my next posts will be on Sunday (sorry, but I don't think that the Inn we're staying in has internet.  But I'll make 3 posts on Sunday).  Hopefully it'll be a good trip.  I don't really know what to make of it.  I mean camp Hellhole is still ingrained in my memory and I really would like to know the meaning of "gentle hike".  We'll see what happens.  But Isle of Skye is supposed to be beautiful and is one of the top destinations in the UK.  Plus, there is the potential of seeing puffins.  I really just want to see a good puffin.

So, since I'm going to be gone for a few days, here is some info. on the Isle of Skye. It's located in the upper West part of Scotland in the Highlands.  It's an island (hints the isle part).  It's known best for it's beautiful scenery and it's castles. The Eileen Donan Castle is one of the most famous castles in the world (and I'll be seeing it on Sunday).  It also has lots of sea animals like otters, seals, and yes, puffins.  It has cute little towns, lots of hills and rivers, and is supposed to just be a really nice place to visit.  I'm really excited to see it (and will be even more so when I see who I'm rooming with) I just hope IFSA doesn't ruin this for me.  Is that a pessimistic statement? Yes. Is there a very good possibility that IFSA could ruin it? Absolutely.  But, I'm sure either way I'll come back with some great stories.  The journey begins at 8 am tomorrow morning and I don't get back until 6:00 pm on Sunday.  It is sure to be an adventure (hopefully the good kind).

No comments:

Post a Comment