Friday, March 11, 2011

Sinks (Wash Basins) and Faucets

Hello everyone! My day today was again pretty uneventful.  I went to class today (my EUC class).  Since we changed movies, now I have different professor (remember Spanish/Scottish guy, yep I have him again).  He was pretty hard to understand the second time around too. Basically all he did was repeatedly tell us that Spain under Franco's rule was not (repeat was not) a fascist nation. I don't know where he got his info from, because I've been taught that Franco is about as fascist as you can get.  (Note to self: don't write a paper about Franco fascism.)  He kind of dwelled on this topic the entire lecture.  And yes, it does kind of make sense since the movie was made right after Franco's regime, but this is a film class, not a politics class.

After class, I came back and studied until dinner.  Tonight, we ordered pizza from town (we actually got it for a really good price.  Domino's was way more expensive.).  It was really good.  Then, we played Uno again.  (I think this may happen again on the train tomorrow.  We're really pretty vicious Uno players.)  Well, that was pretty much my day. Tomorrow is going to be an exciting day! We're going into Linlithgow tomorrow and to the Ceilidh tomorrow night! It should be a good time.

Now, I want to talk about one of my biggest pet peeves over here; the sink/faucet situation.  You know how normal sinks usually have one faucet and then 2 or 1 knob that you can adjust to make the water hot/cold?  Well, it's different here.

Here is an example of the typical Scottish sink (or wash basin as they say here).  This is what I have in my room. It was 2 faucets with 2 knobs.

Here is the big problem with this situation.  You can never get warm water.  It is either scalding or freezing.  And generally you have about 2 seconds once you turn it on until it becomes "full temperature".  It's really a pain. (And just for the record there's no way around it.  If you turn them both on, then you have 1 faucet with scalding and the other with freezing.)  Also, the water pressure is really strange.  You have to fiddle with the knobs to make it just right and then it will change for the duration of the time that it's on.  (I've gotten sprayed with burning water way too many times.) 

Now, in the kitchen there is a sink with 1 faucet and 2 knobs.  The problem in there, is that when you turn on both of the knobs, then half of the faucet is scalding and the other is freezing; they don't mix.  It is seriously the biggest pain. They only place you can get warm water is in the shower.  (You know, the one place where it should be either scalding or cold.)  Crazy Scotland and it's crazy wash basins.  I just don't get it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment