Tuesday, March 15, 2011

An Average Day and A Not So Average Czech Movie

Hello everyone! Today was another pretty average day for me.  I had a seminar this morning with Snape. We talked about tourism.  I'm pretty sure this will be the last seminar that most of my class attends considering today they found out that attendance for seminars for LEI aren't mandatory.  (Why will no one come you may ask? Well, for one, it will be right before Spring Break.  Two, it's held on the same day that our first essay is due. Three, students here don't go to things that aren't required.)  This should make for a very interesting seminar next week, when Snape and I sit in an empty classroom and discuss volunteering.  It kind of amazes me how most of the students over here put in minimal effort.

Then, I had my PMA lecture (which is actually pretty well attended, but most of the class doesn't really pay attention.).  We talked about the civil service.  All of this UK government stuff is really interesting to me.  I don't think the UK kids are enjoying it too much though.  You know how there sometimes comes a point in a lecture where you feel like the professor is really only teaching towards you?  (Like everyone else is asleep, texting, on their computers, talking in Chinese, playing Tic Tac Toe (all of which did in fact go on during my lecture today) and you're the only one taking notes, listening, paying attention, and laughing at your professors stupid jokes to show you're paying attention? Well this was me today.)  Well, I think that British Unibrow realized about half way through the lecture today that I was the only one of about 30 students (it's a small class) paying attention.  At least I'll be prepared for my exam (I learned that the head honchos of the Civil Service actually earn more than the Prime Minister...at least I thought that was interesting).

After class, I came back and watched the movie that I'm giving a presentation over a clip of on Monday. (It's called Closely Observed Trains.  It's a Czech movie.)  It is probably number one on the list of weirdest movies I have ever seen.  Out of the movies that we're watching this semester, I would be the one to get put with the movie that makes no sense.  Luckily, there are plenty of website with the opinions of people who did think it made sense.  And the scene I'm presenting over is pretty straightforward, so hopefully I can make something out of it.  Then, I went to my friend Dana's flat for dinner.  She made us chicken burritos.  They were awesome.  Tomorrow I don't have any classes, so I plan on spending my day working on my presentation, taking Flat Joshua (as in Flat Stanley but from my cousin Joshua.  I'll explain more on this later.) around Stirling and having dinner with all of my IFSA group tomorrow.  It should be a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment