Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Laundry and Primark

Hello! Today was a great day for me because of many reasons.  First, I finally did laundry.  This is good, because I really needed clean clothes.  Two of my friends and I decided it would be a good idea to do laundry on Wednesday early in the day, because we figured that nobody else would be doing laundry. This, for the most part, was right.  We went over to the laundry area around 1:00 (prime time for most of Stirling to be in class) and started our laundry experience. (Note: We didn't want a lot of people to be there so that we wouldn't look completely stupid while trying to figure out the washers.)  Step 1, buy a laundry card.  At Stirling, you have to pay 4 pounds for a card that has laundry credits on it.  Basically with 1 card, you can get 2 washes and 2 drys.  The only problem is that you have to have enough 1 pound coins to use the machine.  Luckily for us, there were some nice ladies on duty to make change for us. Step 2, figure out the machines. The machines here are weird.  The soap goes in a really complicated top tray and you have to press some weird buttons to get the right kind of water.  It was pretty confusing, but there were detailed steps on what to do hanging on a board over the machines.  (However, we didn't read the big red sign that said "Put detergent into trays A and B, not tray C."  Well, I guess our clothes got really clean, because we put detergent in our C trays as well.  And nothing exploded and the world didn't end, so I don't know why that note deserved a red sign.)  Then, we played Uno until our clothes were done.  Putting them in the dryer was a lot less exciting.  You just put in the clothes and press a button.  Then, we continued our Uno game until our clothes were done (well, it was more like our dryers finished and we finished our game of Uno before leaving.  The smell of clean clothes is really a nice smell.)

Then, I went back to my room to fold my laundry and hang things up.  Luckily, none of my laundry was still wet.  (Some of my friends have been having issues with the dryers not really drying.  Mine were all ok.)  After organizing our clothes, we headed into town and towards Domino's (confession: it was only like 3:30, but laundry made us hungry).  Unfortunately we discovered that Domino's is really only for ordering, not dining in. It was a major disappointed.  We found a different pizza place that wasn't open yet, so we decided we would just go back later.  Thus, we drowned our sorrows in pastry. (The Scottish make really good pastries.)  Then, we went to the Thistle Center (the mall) to shop for a little while until dinner.

I found a book store.  It isn't any Barnes & Noble, but it's close.  It's called Waterstones (I think it is the UK version of a B & N).  I really just liked looking around and I bought a book.  It was nice to find a bookstore, because I go to one almost weekly back home.

After Waterstones we headed to Primark.  Let me just say, the only reason we went to Primark was because everybody talks about how great Primark is.  Honestly, we didn't really get what made it so special.  From the outside, it just looks like any retail store.  Well, let me tell you, Primark is awesome.  I now understand the hype.  Everything is cheap.  Granted, it probably isn't the best quality, but at this point in time, a lot of things are never going to make it back to the US anyways, so cheap and poor quality is a good thing.  I bought a pair of 1 pound sunglasses (because, you know, it's so sunny in Scotland) because I didn't bring my pair from back home.  I also bought 5 pairs of socks for 2.50 pounds.  Primark is a great place.  (I didn't even get to throughly examine the shoes yet either.)  I'm sure I'll be back soon.

Once we calmed down from the excitement of Primark, we headed back to the restaurant we found earlier for food.  Unfortunately, upon further inspection we realized that it didn't have seating either.  We walked for a while and checked out different places until we happened upon a fish and chips place.  It was the best fish and chips that I've had while being in Scotland.  I got 2 huge pieces of fish and a huge pile of fries (chips) all for 5 pounds.  After throughly enjoying my grease, I saved the last piece so that I can enjoy it all over again tomorrow for lunch.

After dinner, we headed to Tesco.  This is where my day becomes even better.  I found parmesan cheese (ok, Katelin found it, but I bought it)! I cannot wait to parmesan my pasta.  It has been sad living without my dear parmesan cheese (I seriously eat pasta probably 4 or 5 times a week).  And it's no wonder I didn't find it until today because it was shoved in this little corner of the cheese section.  I guess the Scottish aren't big into the parmesan.

Tomorrow, I have class most of the day.  I'll probably be working on essays.  Oh, and enjoying my parmesan   of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment