Friday, February 18, 2011

Scottish Donuts

Hello everyone! Well today I had my second class (EUC: post-war European cinema).  I was not first to get to the lecture hall today.  Nope, my good friend the Asian exchange student (as in not plural.  I guess not too many of them are interesting in post-war European cinema...or Friday lectures.) beat me there.  I was happy though, because in this class there were a lot of students who didn't have friends.  I realize this sounds really mean, but it makes me feel better when I'm not the only one sitting alone.

My tutor seemed pretty nice.  After, I got used to his Scanish (this is a unique mixture of a Scottish and Spanish accent.) he seemed like a really nice guy, but I learned today where not to sit in class.  This is by A.) the professional cougher who gagged through the entire lecture, and B.) the row of 5th grade boys who make jokes about the tutors Scanish.  Anyways, the class was pretty normal.  I did find out today that I get to do a presentation for this class.  Evidently (according to my IFSA-rep) Scottish people are really bad at giving presentations and American's typically do really well on presentations at Scottish Universities. So, I plan to throughly enjoy doing mine.

After class today, my friends and I went into town to go shopping.  We went to this bakery called Bayhne's Bakery.  It had the best looking things that I have seen in a long time.  I got this donut sandwich thing.  It was like a glazed donut cut in half with cream in the middle and chocolate on top.  It was wonderful.

Here I am ready to consume my donut sandwich.  I didn't exactly eat this in the most classy of fashions I must say (but hey I didn't exactly have lunch).

Then, we went back to the Pound Stretcher where I finally invested in a spoon (actually I got 6 for a pound.  You just can't beat Pound Stretcher.  Plus I couldn't take eating my yogurt with a fork anymore.) I also went to the train station to get my young person's rail pass.  This gets me 1/3 off of all train tickets that I purchase (like the one I'll get tomorrow to go to Glasgow).  I must say this experience was interesting.  The lady that got me my pass was just Miss Merry Scottish Sunshine.  She pretty much yelled things at me that didn't make sense, but I mean I got my rail pass so it doesn't really matter.  

Tonight I experienced Tesco 1 pound pizza (and awesome garlic bread).  As sketchy as this sounds it was actually really good. Also, I did find peanut butter, but it's one of the weirdest things I've seen.  I think it's too authentic for my taste. I opened it up and it was strangely oily on top.  I thought "wow that's weird, maybe it tastes ok though." Well, it didn't.  Then, I saw that on the side it says "Separation is natural. STIR ME UP (yes, in all caps) before serving." Where I come from, separation is not natural, but it did taste better after stirring. I think this stuff might actually have real ingredients whereas I'm way too use to my Peter Pan back home. I also got this cheese (like sliced cheese for sandwiches) that says "cheddar, with a wee bit of a bite." I'm hoping that translates to sharp cheddar, but I'll let you know how that goes.

After writing about Irn-Bru last night, I really wanted to write about something else uniquely Scottish tonight.  
These are Highland cattle (known as "coos" here). 

These cows are the most awesome things ever.  Evidently, they can be found pretty much everyone once you get up into the Highlands (except I will be looking for them on the train ride to Glasgow tomorrow when we're going through rural areas).  Also, up in the Highlands, there is supposed to be a place that you can go and feed and pet the cattle.  These are things that I definitely need to do while I'm Scotland...like see the Loch Ness Monster. 

Tomorrow I'm heading to Glasgow, (and I'm taking Rick Steve's walking tour of the city). We're leaving bright and early so that we have plenty of time to explore the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment