Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Real First Day of Classes

Hello! This time the title is not deceiving, I really did have a class today.  Since I'm sure everyone memorized my schedule that I posted yesterday (ok, probably not) you'll know that I was supposed to have 3 classes today.  Well, I only had 1.  My PMA class doesn't officially start until Tuesday and my seminars for that class don't start until 2 weeks from now.

Anyways, I did have my 9:00 class this morning.  (It was actually kind of cool walking to class, because the fog was really thick.  I don't think I have ever seen fog like I did this morning.) I'm one of those people that get's to class really early in order to scope out the best seat, so I went to class around 8:30. (In my defense, I thought this class had the potential to be huge.) As you probably guessed, I was the first person in my class this morning.  I walked in and up on the projector screen was a slide about "cultural studies".  After a minor panic attack, thinking that I didn't have the right lecture hall, I realized that this was an advertisement for something on campus (which is kind of weird, but most of the lecture halls do this.).  One thing I learned today, is that only Americans and Asian exchange students get to class as early as I do.  What can I say, we're overachievers.

After I sat around for a half in hour, people started to come to class.  Classes here actually start at five minutes past the hour and end five minutes before the hour. (At Butler, we have this built in.) My tutor seemed really nice. Honestly, I was kind of worried because when she walked in, she looked a lot like Snape. (As in, she was wearing black pants, a black top, and a long black coat.  She also had a long pointy noise and chin length black hair.) Luckily, she didn't have the Snape personality.  My class was pretty much what I expected.  It was just a usual lecture.  There were about 50 people in the class, which I thought was pretty small by Scottish standards.

So, looking back at my past blog posts, I realized that I haven't talked about Irn-Bru (pronounced Iron Brew) yet.  This is THE drink of Scotland.
Here is a picture of Irn-Bru that I got off of Google.

Now, this may look like your run-of-the-mill orange soda, but don't be fooled.  It may be a neon orange color (it does say on the bottle that it will stain your clothes) but it actually tastes like a mix between bubble-gum and Sprite.  I have tried it, and it's not quit as nasty as it sounds, but it's definitely an acquired taste.  Anyways, the fun fact about Irn-Bru is that it outsells Coca-Cola here (and not just by a little.  It sells almost twice as much.). So, you know how you see Coke vending machines, here you see Irn-Bru machines.

Also, I'm also really excited because I'm getting involved with my first Scottish program here. My friends and I (ok I kind of signed us up for it) signed up to do some volunteering stuff with little Scottish children in Stirling. The meeting isn't until next week, but I'm pretty excited.  I mean I look forward to any opportunity to get free food and use my bus pass.  Also, this weekend we're planning  a day trip into Glasgow. Tomorrow I have a class in the morning and then I'm going to Domino's (yes, I know this is very American) tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment